Wednesday, September 18, 2013

YAY! THE ASIAN AMERICAN LIT REVIEW - Special Mixed Race Issue



When The Asian American Lit Review (AALR) asked if I’d contribute short stories to their Special Issue on Mixed-Race as part of their Mixed Race Initiative involving 100 universities worldwide including contributions by U.S. Poet Laureate Natasha Trethewey and Afro Cuban Filipino King of Latin Soul, Joe Bataan, I was like HELLS YES!

Besides that, I thought, I’m black and AALR is a stellar platform for Asian writers. And since the writers are of all different races, that must mean “Mixed Race.” But later I found out that “mixed race” is another term for “biracial" and the like. Like my children. Oh, I thought. A little less excited about a subject that I thought was a non-issue for me.

What surprised me was how it wasn’t. How the topic was fuel, and became the subjects of not one but my two stories printed on the back of cards in this gorgeous deck—a collaboration of writers and painters and other artists from all over the world. It’s centerpiece is a global conversation on race.

“It isn’t simply a reexamination of race or a survey of mixed voices, important as both are. It’s a provocateur, inspiring new conversations and cross-pollinations, pushing into new corners.”

And since I always go for “the dirty,” I can assure you that the above quote is true.

If honest discussions on race matter to you, (not the “permitted” and sanitized version that we see on social media) SUPPORT THIS EFFORT and BUY A COPY HERE.
  
Well done, AALR!

No comments:

Post a Comment